Friday, 10 December 2010

HOLLOWFALL

This is a bit of a speed-ish paint I did yesterday. I think it took about 3 hours in total. Initially it was just meant to be an exercise in quick environment painting designed to speed up my workflow but it ended up being more of a descriptive piece. Initially the boat wasn't in the composition and I planned to maybe put some kind of little fishing village up against the creek wall on the left. I decided that this didn't really add any drama to the piece so I put in the boat to perhaps hint at a journey interrupted. The debris on the ground surrounding the boat hints at a speedy or forced disembarkation and the rope heading up the rock wall suggests the eventual escape route into the forest. The boat really helps the image too as it clearly points at the main focal point of the piece and defines the direction of the suggested journey whilst re-inforcing the composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment